2018 – 2019 Semester 1 Talks:
- Wednesday 26 September, 2018- Cheshire Calhoun (Arizona) – 4.30 – 6pm in Edgecliffe 104
- Wednesday 3rd October 2018 – Mette High (Social Anthropology, St Andrews) 11am-12.30pm in Edgecliffe 104
- Wednesday 10th October, 2018 – Jonathan Coffey (BBC) 11am to 12.30pm in Edgecliffe 104
- Wednesday 7 November, 2018 – Rowan Cruft (Stirling) from 11am to 12.30pm in Edgecliffe 104
- Wednesday 14th Nov, 2018 – Elizabeth Cripps (Edinburgh) from 4:30pm to 6pm in Edgecliffe 104
2017-18 Semester 2 Talks:
- Week 2: Larry Temkin (Rutgers): (Philosophy Society Talk) Monday 5 Feb, 8-9:30pm in Arts Lecture Theatre and (CEPPA Talk) Tuesday 6 Feb, 4.30pm-6pm in Edgecliffe 104
- Week 3: Saturday and Sunday 17-18 Feb CEPPA Graduate Conference (Edgecliffe 104)
- Week 4: Sophie Grace Chappell (Open): Wednesday 21 Feb, 11am-12:30pm in Edgecliffe 104
- Week 8: Alexander Prescott-Couch (Oxford): Monday 2 April, 4-5:30pm in Edgecliffe 104 and Sam Rickless (UCSD): Thursday 5 April, 5-6:30pm in Edgecliffe 104
- Week 8: Panel discussion at the Edinburgh Science Festival Thursday 5 April, 5:30pm Main Hall, Summerhall, Edinburgh
- Week 9: Teresa Bejan (Oxford): Tuesday 10 April, 5.30pm to 7pm in Edgecliffe 104
- Week 10: CEPPA/Philosophy Society Talk by Daniel Weinstock (McGill) Monday 16 April, 4:30pm to 6pm at the Quaker Meeting House on 2 Howard Place
- Week 12: Paton Colloquium, Wednesday 2 May, in St Mary’s Quadrangle, South Street (talks begin at 10am)
- Week 13: Dhananjay Jagannathan (Columbia): Tuesday 8 May, 4-6pm in Edgecliffe G03 and Human Rights Conference (International Relations): Thursday and Friday 10-11 May (from 10.15 Thurs and 9.30am Fri) in the Byre Theatre Studio
- Week 15 2018 Knox Lecture: Melissa Lane (Princeton): Monday 21 May 5:15-6:45pm in School III
- Week 16 Jason Raibley (CSU Long Beach) 28 May 4-5:30pm Arts Lecture Theatre
- Week 17 Jonathan Coffey (BBC) 4 Jun 12:30-2pm Parliament Hall
- Week 17 JS Mill Cup: Wednesday 6 June, 12 noon to 7pm in Schools I through VI
- Week 18 Geoff Sayre-McCord (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) 12 Jun 2-3:30pm Edgecliffe 104
- Week 20 Andrew Cullison (The Janet Prindle Institute for Ethics at DePauw University) 29th June 4:15 – 5:45pm Edgecliffe 104
- Week 23 Leif Wenar (King’s College London) 20th July 1.30pm – 3pm in Edgecliffe 104
For details of past events, please see Conferences and Symposia, Knox Lectures, Philosophy and Policy Lectures, Paton Lectures & Colloquia, and Cook Lectures.
2017-18 Semester 1 Talks:
- Victor Tadros (Warwick) – (with comments by Joe Horton of UCL) 24 Oct 2017, 4-6pm Edgecliffe 104
- Carlos Fraenkel (McGill) – 2nd Nov 2017, 4:30-6pm Edgecliffe G03
- Elinor Mason (Edinburgh) – 15 Nov 2017, 11-1pm Edgecliffe 104
- Fiona Woollard (Southampton) – 22 Nov 2017, 4:30-6pm Edgecliffe 104 and (Philosophy Society Talk) 23rd Nov 2017 1-2pm Arts Lecture Theatre
- Tim Mulgan (Auckland/St Andrews) – 29 Nov 2017, 11-12.30pm, Edgecliffe 104
- Tom Simpson (Oxford) – 4 Dec 2017, 4:30-6pm Edgecliffe 104
- Geoff Sayre-McCord (UNC)
- ‘On a Theory of a Better Morality and a Better Theory of Morality’, CEPPA Talk on Tuesday, 4 Oct 2016 from 6:05pm to 7:35pm in Edgecliffe 104.
- Jeff McMahan (Oxford)
- ‘Doing Good and Doing the Best’, Philosophy Society Talk on Thursday, 3 Nov 2016 from 7:45pm to 9:30pm (with comments by Theron Pummer) in School III, St Salvator’s Quad.
- ‘Could Our Eating Animals Be Good For Them?’, CEPPA Talk on Friday, 4 Nov 2016 from 4:15pm to 5:45pm in Edgecliffe 104 (followed by reception).
- Caspar Hare (MIT)
- ‘The Paradox of Infinite Distrust’, Philosophy Society Talk on Monday, 23 Jan 2017 from 8pm to 9:30pm in the Arts Lecture Theatre.
- ‘Rational Gifts’, CEPPA Talk on Tuesday, 24 Jan 2017 from 4:15pm to 5:45pm in Edgecliffe G03.
- Paulina Sliwa (Cambridge)
- ‘Into the Frying Pan: The Power of Excuses’, CEPPA Talk on Tuesday, 28 March 2017 from 4:15pm to 5:45 pm in the Arts Lecture Theatre.
- David Brink (UCSD)
- ‘Partial Responsibility’, Philosophy Society Talk on Thursday, 13 April from 7:30pm to 9pm in the Auditorium at the Byre Theatre.
- ‘Special Concern, Prudence, and Personal Identity’, CEPPA Talk on Friday, 14 April 2017 from 4:15pm to 5:45pm in Edgecliffe G03 (followed by reception).
- Peter Singer (Princeton)